- Senior academic has valuable items stolen from their office
- A research group of academics physically prevent a group member from entering a group meeting
- Departmental staff are surveyed to find out how upsetting it is for them to just see a fellow academic, let alone speak to them.
- A senior academic uses data from patients without their consent or knowledge
- Ongoing sexual harassment of students by an academic is "covered up" by the head of school.
- Academics present student research as their own work, without acknowledgement.
- A whistleblower who reported misconduct to their line manager is suddenly shunned by fellow academics throughout Australia.
Someone's imagination running away with them?
A novelist writing a crime novel?
Someone's vivid dreams?
Believe it or not, these are all real events that have happened at the University of Newcastle! Novelists, don't worry about imagining facts - Truth is definitely stranger than fiction!