Bullying at the University of Newcastle (Australia)

We are working to highlight and stop academic workplace bullying at the University of Newcastle, Australia. We are a group of staff and students who have been bullied for speaking out about misconduct.

Help make a difference –

*answer our survey,

*contribute to the blog, or

*contact us.

This will help us gather as much information as possible so that we can put an end to this bullying with its’ decades-long history.

“Systemic bullying, hazing and abuse generally are identified with poor, weak or toxic organizational cultures. Cultures that are toxic have stated ethical values that are espoused but not employed, and other non-ethical values which are operational, dominant, but unstated.

Such cultures thrive when good people are silent, silenced, or pushed out; when bad apples are vocal, retained, promoted, and empowered; and when the neutral majority remain silent in order to survive. Those who are most successful in such a toxic culture are those who have adapted to it, or adopted it as their own”. (McKay, Arnold, Fratzl & Thomas, 2008)

Monday, February 4, 2013

Where have all the Uni employees gone?



  • Due to being bullied at work, I have experienced a high level of stress and anxiety in the last two years. ...... I hope to leave my job soon to be able to improve my quality of life.
  • So much for trying to do the right thing. I tried to do what the Uni complaints website said, and go through an informal process, with mediation, instead of a formal complaint right from the start. Now I am unemployed.
  • I have been employed at this university for 12 years. I am at the point of resigning.... This position and the treatment I have received has isolated me, affected my potential career path and certainly affected my confidence.
  • The Bully is so well supported by senior management, and complaints have been made before and gone nowhere. I had no choice but to just leave.
  • All who openly supported me have been forced to leave the University. I left too.
  • As a result I have resigned from Newcastle Uni, have left Newcastle altogether .....
  • At the last, I resigned my employment because of ongoing back pain and bullying and harrassment.
  • I left the university and had to sign a document not to discuss or sue or take class action 
  •  Image
  • I just want to survive for another three weeks and get a hell out of here. Never to come back... I complained once and this is the result.

These are a few of the comments (emphasis added) which were submitted to us by students and staff at the University of Newcastle, or previously at the University of Newcastle.    

Over one-third (37%) (of 195 respondents to our survey) were planning to leave their positions or had left because of the bullying and 11% had asked to be transferred within the university.
·        


3 comments:

  1. This is very compelling evidence that the the senior managers should all be sacked to allow a complete change of blood in that dreadful place. The bullying has gone on far too long.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What bothers me is the number of my colleagues still posturing to be "senior managers"!

    I have been horrified by their antics, some of which border on criminal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a hellish picture of the place. Kudos to the victors of this dirty war! I hope you guys can sleep at night.

    ReplyDelete