The Employment Law Handbook has compiled a list of warning signs of bullying in the workplace. They suggest using this list to investigate further.
7 TELL-TALE SIGNS THAT BULLYING IS OCCURRING IN YOUR WORKPLACE
- Patterns of absenteeism or excessive sick leave.
- High staff turnover.
- A high number of grievances, injury reports or WorkCover claims.
- A workplace culture that accepts or promotes a ‘tough guy’, ‘dog eat dog’ or ‘harden up’ attitude to interpersonal relationships, performance management and distribution of work.
- Leadership styles that are particularly forceful, rude or aggressive, demanding, aloof, overbearing or micromanaging.
- Systems of work in which there is:
- uneven or unfair distribution of work;
- excessive intervention in a person’s work;
- excessive amounts of work; or
- provision of menial or tedious tasks, or failure to provide any (or any meaningful) work.