Bullying at the University of Newcastle (Australia)

We are working to highlight and stop academic workplace bullying at the University of Newcastle, Australia. We are a group of staff and students who have been bullied for speaking out about misconduct.

Help make a difference –

*answer our survey,

*contribute to the blog, or

*contact us.

This will help us gather as much information as possible so that we can put an end to this bullying with its’ decades-long history.

“Systemic bullying, hazing and abuse generally are identified with poor, weak or toxic organizational cultures. Cultures that are toxic have stated ethical values that are espoused but not employed, and other non-ethical values which are operational, dominant, but unstated.

Such cultures thrive when good people are silent, silenced, or pushed out; when bad apples are vocal, retained, promoted, and empowered; and when the neutral majority remain silent in order to survive. Those who are most successful in such a toxic culture are those who have adapted to it, or adopted it as their own”. (McKay, Arnold, Fratzl & Thomas, 2008)

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Depression and ongoing trauma

"The hoops the University of Newcastle makes staff go through to get a complaint made "formal"
cause so much further damage to the individual professionally and personally as to be prohibitive.

The endless policies, rules and guidelines intended to provide a framework/bottom line apply only as
and when it suits the University, who treat industrial legislation like they treat their plagiarism policy
- with contempt.

I was lucky to escape 'merely' with major depression, a lengthy period of incapacity
and ongoing trauma. My bills haven't been paid and the financial impact continues to be disastrous.
The impact on my children I'm sure will play out over many years." Newcastle Herald. 17.03.2010.

5 comments:

  1. After a formal complaint to HR, I was required to attend many appointments and have my entire life (post employment at UoN) exposed as to the 'cause' of my anxiety about attending my workplace. Those complained about were not required to endure this treatment. After 11 months, my contract was terminated and all HR issues ceased. In twenty five years of working in public service, I had never had a workplace problem with colleagues, productivity nor getting the work done. In just under two years at UoN, all my professional confidence, networks and reputation were in shreds. My self esteem and worth remain shattered, depression has its hold on me and despite treatment and support, the tunnel is very dark indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My story is a similar one. I also trusted management and they saw it fit to destroy me. Why? I don't know. There are some sick people there.

    I am an innocent person. I still am.

    The mistake I made was trusting the complaints process at the University.

    There are some extremely dark forces at work at that University. One person who stands against it does not have the strength to overcome it.

    Together as the victims we have a chance. There will a day where our enemies must face up to the consequences of their actions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. former senior lecturer bullied out of UoNMarch 11, 2014 at 12:14 PM

    I can so relate to everything that you have stated. I also (under pressure from HR and HoS) submitted a formal complaint only to discover that rather than resolve my issues - bullying and harassment the university used it to implemented a plan to eliminate me from my workplace.
    Workplace bullying is a despicable act that destroys an individual's self-esteem and confidence and irrevocably leads to depression. Yet despite the University being a so called place of learning - it still hasn't learnt that simple fact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you can't protect your children from this, you should not have care of them.... Get real, don't use your children as an excuse for you not being able to care for them. Just another professional victim. In this circumstance you are obviously not capable of being a good parent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the point of the post is that the misconduct of the University has serious long term effects.

      I am speaking from a position of empathy as I went through the same nightmare.

      Until the University admits liability we will continue to be misunderstood and stigmatised.

      Survival is not always seen as a laudable goal, yet, despite for victims of crimes like bullying it is.

      We made it through hell alive. Some didn't.

      Your post comes across as angry, could you be more specific as to why? I want to address your concerns.

      Delete