Bullying at the University of Newcastle (Australia)

We are working to highlight and stop academic workplace bullying at the University of Newcastle, Australia. We are a group of staff and students who have been bullied for speaking out about misconduct.

Help make a difference –

*answer our survey,

*contribute to the blog, or

*contact us.

This will help us gather as much information as possible so that we can put an end to this bullying with its’ decades-long history.

“Systemic bullying, hazing and abuse generally are identified with poor, weak or toxic organizational cultures. Cultures that are toxic have stated ethical values that are espoused but not employed, and other non-ethical values which are operational, dominant, but unstated.

Such cultures thrive when good people are silent, silenced, or pushed out; when bad apples are vocal, retained, promoted, and empowered; and when the neutral majority remain silent in order to survive. Those who are most successful in such a toxic culture are those who have adapted to it, or adopted it as their own”. (McKay, Arnold, Fratzl & Thomas, 2008)

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Is this normal university behaviour?

What is happening to students at the University of Newcastle? Here are a few of their comments to us:-
-    told I will fail my course in front of other because my standard of work is garbadge. 
-    Humiliated in front of peers by lecturer
-    Expectation that I work as an RA (unpaid) while I completed a PhD. I was lead to believe that I needed to work 2 days per week as an RA on my supervisor's research project to receive my scholarship
-    Sexual Harrasment
-    As student: Threats of legal action on the basis of intellectual property laws with regards to skills learnt in class from lecturer and head of school Subsequent demotion after job re-interview with same head of school on pannel Rejection of RHD application two years running despite first class honours, strong application and supervisor support in subject area under same head of school, once where he was on the pannel 
-    As a student and staff, I have no rights. My work is beening removed from me as it is a part of a larger project. My supervisors have a conflict of interest. They are suposed to help me succeed, however they get more praise if they have the work for themselves on the project. All my ideas are presented as theirs. In the supervision meetings I am told my ideas are rubbish. After the meetings, the supervisors present my ideas. I can't believe I got myself in this situation. I need to leave and change supervisors.

3 comments:

  1. Some people might consider this conduct fair.

    I disagree. A lot of other people feel the same way. People deserve better.

    Some people consider mass bullying as disruptive innovation.

    The Nazi's infamous Kristallnacht during the advent of world war 2 was also disruptive innovation. Ditto the Cuban missile crisis, the Vietnam war, Hiroshima and September 11.

    All of the above atrocities were a good idea to some one. Just not myself or almost anyone else with a conscience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....which is why the University shouldn't use "disruptive innovation" as part of their hype.

      Delete
  2. I am reaching a stage with the University where they have become so secretive and unable to answer any questions that I am forced to address the University from an external agency, namely the ombudsman and ICAC if necessary.

    ReplyDelete