In October, university staff were warned about the "extremely inappropriate behaviour" of a student using the Auchmuty campus library to film and broadcast herself via live web camera shows." Newcastle Herald
A spokeswoman for the University of Newcastle is quoted as saying
"We have a code of conduct that clearly outlines the sorts of behaviours the university expects from its community on campus," she said.
This student may have resorted to this way of making ends meet. According to the Newcastle Herald, "financially desperate Newcastle students are reportedly resorting to using a number of informal online sex outlets to make ends meet." AND "At the end of 2013 there were 171 University of Newcastle students registered to a specialist online dating website called Seeking Arrangement that matches students with a "sugar daddy" to fund their education.
The important issue is that the University has acted against this student BUT what happens to those members of staff who sexually harass students?
We have had reports on sexual harassment by staff of the University in our survey and also on this website:-
- There was also an occasion where a administrative officer was sexually harassed by the professor… she was transferred to another department after she made a formal complaint. I suspect there are many more.
- Sexual inappropriate comments made by a male academic to a younger female academic. I don't know what else happenned. Later (two years) the male academic publicly rebuked the female (via an open email) and cut all ties with her. I don't know any other details. But what I saw changed the way I interact with the academic
- Too many stories to reiterate - most relate to academic property theft, although I am aware of previous sexual harressment that has occurred as well.
- (nature of bullying) Sexual Harrasment
- A male member of staff was very inappropriate to a female colleague. Intimidating, suggestive and sexist. When she complained he told her to have a sense of humour. She was too intimidated to complain. Then another person did complain (and I'm told numerous others), but the person was just moved sideways in the org. He is now still supervising a number of women.
- specially uon has a reputation in sexual harassment according to the statistics of NUSA-student service.
- This only covers bullying, harassment and favouitism amongst staff. Look deeper and find it has been happening for years between lecturers and students. In a particular course I attended at Newcastle University it was quite plain to see lets say extra attention and personal views on relationships by a male lecturer made toward some students of the opposite sex to the point of harassment at times. One would often be seen around campus and outside with a married student he took a particular liking to it was clear to one and all similar standards of work were not achieving the same grades