We have received the following comment on this blog:-
- Some commentators may need to remain anonymous because they have been gagged by the University i.e. the University of Newcastle has been so concerned about what they have done to some people that the University has silenced these people with gagging clauses and threats of court action if these people speak out. From our survey, there are at least 15 staff/students who have been gagged by the university.
- Some commentators who use Anonymous may be doing so to prevent their family members who are still employed at the University from being harassed and discriminated against or losing their jobs. Again, we have proof of this from our survey.
- Some commentators who use Anonymous may be doing so because they are still students at the University and cannot afford to have their views aired publicly as this would affect them completing their degrees.
- Some commentators who use Anonymous may be doing so because they are still working at the University of Newcastle and cannot afford to be named until they have secured themselves other employment. 72 individuals reported in our survey they they were actively seeking other employment or were leaving the University.
- Some commentators who use Anonymous may be doing so because the harassment and victimisation from the University has had a huge effect on their mental and physical health and do not feel able to air this publicly. 45 respondents to our survey had attempted or considered suicide. Others report depression, sleep problems, hypertension, palpitations etc.