Bullying at the University of Newcastle (Australia)

We are working to highlight and stop academic workplace bullying at the University of Newcastle, Australia. We are a group of staff and students who have been bullied for speaking out about misconduct.

Help make a difference –

*answer our survey,

*contribute to the blog, or

*contact us.

This will help us gather as much information as possible so that we can put an end to this bullying with its’ decades-long history.

“Systemic bullying, hazing and abuse generally are identified with poor, weak or toxic organizational cultures. Cultures that are toxic have stated ethical values that are espoused but not employed, and other non-ethical values which are operational, dominant, but unstated.

Such cultures thrive when good people are silent, silenced, or pushed out; when bad apples are vocal, retained, promoted, and empowered; and when the neutral majority remain silent in order to survive. Those who are most successful in such a toxic culture are those who have adapted to it, or adopted it as their own”. (McKay, Arnold, Fratzl & Thomas, 2008)

Monday, March 30, 2015

"Glamorisation of thuggery" - supporting bullies and eradicating their victims is the name of the University of Newcastle game

So the BBC is not renewing Jeremy Clarkson's contract, despite the millions the Top Gear program makes.

According to the ABC "Outsiders" program, Clarkson's behaviour represents the "glamorisation of thuggery", also accorded to sportsmen and other angry white men.

"What sort of behaviour is considered socially and culturally acceptable in a mature contemporary society?" (Outsiders, Sarrah le Marquand)
 
Yes indeed.

The following behaviour is reportedly (quoted from our survey) considered socially and culturally acceptable at the University of Newcastle:-

  • This bully lies to me, steals stuff from my desk, shouts at me when noone else is around, is extremely two faced, thinks they own everything in the building, is extremely messy, there's more.
  • Swearing at me and hit me when I denied to sign the document without reading.
  • The worst experience was when I was dismissed from a position after inadvertently uncovering a serious breach of security procedure by a senior manager. My dismissal was orchestrated through intermediaries, with no contact with the bully. My humiliation was greater than the monetary loss.
  • I initially reported what was a clear and simple case of student plagiarism, but within a couple of days (before any evidence had been seen or the complaint passed up beyond the School level) the victimisation started. I was branded a troublemaker and the plagiarist was simply an innocent victim who should be supported by the School. Anyone suspected of supporting me was attacked. Lab samples were "dissappeared", lab and office space access denied, rumours were generated and threats were made.  
  • Having my work/ideas passed off as my boss' work.
  • Being marked down in a work review for not working unpaid overtime (becuase I have family committments after work).
  • Expectation that I work as an RA (unpaid) while I completed a PhD. I was lead to believe that I needed to work 2 days per week as an RA on my supervisor's research project to receive my scholarship
  • I have had my job threatened all year - told if I do not work all public holidays and some weekends which required then I will lose my job 
  • Being lied to. Having items stolen from my desk drawers.
  •   Ridiculed behind my back when in another room on several occasions. Embarased in front of others about the quality of my work for most of the semester told in front of others I did not have a hope in hell of passing the exam.
  • Intimidated from and reprimanded for following university safety procedures
  • My experience with some senior staff at the Uni was appalling, devastating, shocking. It has left me feeling too distressed to continue my research.

No comments:

Post a Comment