"Reactions from staff - who obviously have the brains to work at a university, much less operate a phone while in motion - have been 100% predictable."
This "safety alert" has been reported widely throughout the world.
- University of Newcastle staff have been left puzzled by a "safety alert" not to text and walk (MANY NEWSPAPERS AND NEWS OUTLETS e.g. Sydney Morning Herald, Newsunited, Newsinformer, Newcastle Herald, The Age, Brisbane Times, Daily Mail UK, Daily Telegraph).
- Newcastle University staff can't text without falling over. (Gizmodo).
- University of Newcastle issues safety alert over dangers of texting while walking (Reddit) - "Makes me proud to be going to such a prestigious University when they release a safety alert like this, without even a hint of satire..." (Comment to Reddit).
- Don't text & walk warns Newcastle University (Triple J)
- Running With Scissors, 2.0: Uni Warns Staff Against Texting & Walking (Pedestrian) Mobile phones weren't named that for nothin'. Being able to go for a wander while messaging your mates is essentially a mandatory life skill in 2015, but the safety-minded folk at the University of Newcastle have deemed it fit to warn staff via email about the ~ v. dangerous ~ practice.
- Multiple University staff injure themselves due to texting and walking (Tweaktown - North America)
45 have attempted or considered suicide.
The University of Newcastle's spin machine swings into action yet again.
Oh and be careful of bark and leaves on the path (according to the Uni's safety alert)
That should be easy - according to the University's website,
"There are approximately 2,000,000 trees on our beautiful bushland campus!"