Bullying at the University of Newcastle (Australia)

We are working to highlight and stop academic workplace bullying at the University of Newcastle, Australia. We are a group of staff and students who have been bullied for speaking out about misconduct.

Help make a difference –

*answer our survey,

*contribute to the blog, or

*contact us.

This will help us gather as much information as possible so that we can put an end to this bullying with its’ decades-long history.

“Systemic bullying, hazing and abuse generally are identified with poor, weak or toxic organizational cultures. Cultures that are toxic have stated ethical values that are espoused but not employed, and other non-ethical values which are operational, dominant, but unstated.

Such cultures thrive when good people are silent, silenced, or pushed out; when bad apples are vocal, retained, promoted, and empowered; and when the neutral majority remain silent in order to survive. Those who are most successful in such a toxic culture are those who have adapted to it, or adopted it as their own”. (McKay, Arnold, Fratzl & Thomas, 2008)

Monday, November 14, 2016

"photo of a head of school's you know what", "cyberstalking", "physically spying on me", etc etc

Here is another shocking account of bullying at the University of Newcastle.

"I can finally reveal why I was bullied.

I was sent a photo of a head of school's you know what and he wrote that if I didn't "do something" about it he might refuse my application for post graduate study.

He used to look at me in such a dirty, leery way that I honestly tried as much as I could to avoid him. There was one time he saw me walking away and since apparently no one is allowed to do that he decided he would humiliate me.

My postgraduate application was later rejected and the reason was that it was at the head of school's discretion.

I provided the University management with evidence he had been cyberstalking me and physically spying on me but they did nothing.

I asked for further clarification and it was refused.

I am not prepared to let a dirty old man sexually subjugate me in exchange for an education.

The only reason I am posting the information here is because the University have refused to acknowledge what happened. They often discredit the victim's story and then cover the whole thing up.

The University refused to acknowledge Facebook evidence as valid and yet when I approached the police they said it was a matter for the University." (emphasis added).

2 comments:

  1. Former bullied Geography senior lecturerNovember 14, 2016 at 9:32 AM

    Unfortunately those that have raised an allegation against inappropriate and unethical behaviour at the University of Newcastle know only too well what happens to the victim.
    Evidence is dismissed, and all too often the victim is portrayed as having mental health issues.
    Too many members of staff (academic and administration) and students have been humiliated and banished because of their honesty and integrity.
    As you have discovered the university is a very powerful entity and appears to be untouchable as evidenced by the reluctance of the police and politicians to intervene. Only a Royal commission can prevent any further careers and lives being destroyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dirty old man who harassed me has discovered he has full protection from University management.

    So that allows him to do and say whatever he likes I guess.

    It still makes me sick when the University management festoon the entire town with slogans like "a place of opportunity" and "our community, your university".

    I am not exchanging my dignity for the chance to further my studies.

    Later the head of school spread a whole lot of lies about me to cover his tracks. As a result I was ostracised by people I used to consider my friends.

    Finally. I agree that complaining to the University only makes it worse. Just leave quietly and don't make any mention of why.


    I submitted my complaint to the NSW Ombudsman. They did not respond.

    I am glad I have made this story public. It will not change my plight but at least people know what I went through.





    ReplyDelete